Tuesday, August 25

(Com)pressing Matters



I was on a short holiday over the weekend and picked up a copy of the new issue of Sound On Sound magazine for the flight to Viva Espana. It turns out it was a good thing I did as the main feature was a great article on the use of audio compression, which is always seen as a bit of a black art to anyone (such as myself) who has never had any formal audio training.
So if you've every wondered about what compressors to use in a specific situation, or worried about messing around with attack/release times and the like grab yourself a copy now. Article taster link below...

Sound On Sound Audio Compression Article

2 comments:

Steve said...

yeah quite useful to read. They had a nice basic tutorial. I use UAD plugins and in mostly a similar way they describe...Most important for me - drums - slow attack - fast release! Gets 'em thumpin'...
Would prefer hardware but its damn expensive...

twentyfourtracks said...

It took me 5 years to really understand compression, 10 years to hear bad compression and 15 years to actually hear good compression, so don't feel bad man. I have some excellent info on compressors and usages, perhaps if you send me a list of your hardware I can be of some help.
24tracks at gmail dot com